Elton John Announces the Release of New Album with Lil Nas X, Dua Lipa, Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, and More
The Lockdown Sessions is a collaborative album that got John out of his comfort zone exploring other genres.
Sir Elton John has announced the release of his new album, The Lockdown Sessions, which will drop Oct. 22 under Interscope Records and feature over 20 artists, such as VMAN 47 Cover Star Lil Nas X, Nicki Minaj, Dua Lipa, Stevie Nicks, Eddie Vedder, Stevie Wonder, and more.
The 16-track album will cover multiple genres and generations with influences from each featured artist, including the opening track, “Cold Heart (PNAU Remix)” with Dua Lipa, which was released mid-August, and “Nothing Else Matters” with Miley Cyrus.
In March 2020, the five-time Grammy Award winner had to stop the “Farewell Yellow Brick Road” tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but through “Rocket Hour,” his Apple Music talk show, he got to speak with many of these artists and begin working with them, and thus, The Lockdown Sessions began.
“The last thing I expected to do during lockdown was making an album,” John said in a statement on Instagram. “But, as the pandemic went on, one-off projects kept cropping up and I’ve ended with a selection of really interesting and diverse stuff that was completely different to anything I’m known for, stuff that took me out of my comfort zone into completely new territory.”
Due to safety, many of the tracks were recorded remotely in separate studios over the last 18 months. While he sings the lead on some of the tracks and counters on duets with Brandi Carlile and Eddie Vedder, he let artists completely take the reins on others. In fact, “One of Me,” featuring Cover Star Lil Nas X, will not only be on The Lockdown Sessions, but also on Montero, the rapper’s debut album, dropping Sept. 17.
“I realized there was something weirdly familiar about working like this,” he continued. “At the start of my career, in the late ’60s, I worked as a session musician. Working with different artists during lockdown reminded me of that. I’d come full circle: I was a session musician again. And it was still a blast.”
In John’s Instagram post announcing the album yesterday, he mentioned that he will be releasing another singer-songwriter album with his songwriting partner Bernie Taupin afterward.
Check out The Lockdown Sessions full track list below.
- “Cold Heart (PNAU Remix)” – Elton John & Dua Lipa
- “Always Love You” – Elton John, Young Thug & Nicki Minaj
- “Learn To Fly” – Surfaces feat. Elton John
- “After All” – Elton John & Charlie Puth
- “Chosen Family” – Rina Sawayama & Elton John
- “The Pink Phantom” – Gorillaz feat. Elton John & 6LACK
- “It’s a Sin” – Elton John & Years & Years
- “Nothing Else Matters” – Miley Cyrus feat. WATT, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo & Chad Smith
- “Orbit” – Elton John & SG Lewis
- ” Simple Things” – Elton John & Brandi Carlile
- “Beauty In The Bones” – Jimmie Allen & Elton John
- “One Of Me” – Lil Nas X feat. Elton John
- “E-Ticket” – Elton John & Eddie Vedder
- “Finish Line” – Elton John & Stevie Wonder
- “Stolen Car” – Elton John & Stevie Nicks
- “I’m Not Gonna Miss You” – Glen Campbell & Elton John